Isn't it kind of funny...

That fanfiction has become a thing?

Clearly, we were ahead of our time.

Indeed. Recently I was commenting to my wife (who reads and occasionally writes a variety of fan fiction, mostly Sherlock) about the vastness of storytelling that was drawn from a number of game worlds, far outstripping the originals in most cases.

Not really!

Seriously, fanfiction was always a thing since the internet was accessible. I wrote some myself! I can find to this day archives from people I know and love who have written hundreds of thousands of words of what is essentially fan fiction!

The level that it has since elevated too IS kind of funny, though. Particularly when it stops being less about the world and themes the original work was trying to build, and extending on that, and more about who is fucking who… and their gender identity and who the Mary Sue should be diddling because the author has some BOLD IDEAS about what the original characters wanted all along!

What I’m trying to say is that fan fiction based solely around who characters want to fuck, usually at the expense of what said characters would consistently do, needs to be tossed in a pit and burned.

Oh hai Travis.

It’s kinda hard to believe sometimes. The internet grew up without us.

And yeah, Byron, ditto my wife. I forget what she writes, it’s been awhile since we’d talked about it.

Hey Travis! How have you been?

What’s funny to me is that we’re like fanfic purists. The scene got commercialized and now people don’t really know what’s it all about, man.

I kid. Its just kinda funny, people know of fanfics, but not too many general public people actually read them still unless they jump to a best seller list. I had this conversation with my boss last year, I think we were thinking about running a fanfic contest for some movie:

“Hey Mike! I was reading fanfics last night! You’d never guess what most of them are about!!”

“Gay sex.”

“HOW DID YOU KNOW?!?!”

I still think we’re ahead of our times, as we’re mostly concerned with world building and creating a shared environment over crushes on popular characters. Though I feel there is a growing trend towards building these shared universes, especially in games like Minecraft, Rust, Day Z, etc.

I told a co-worker of mine about Kupopolis, and his response was, “Man, I wish I found that as a kid! You had game worlds go to WAR? That sounds amazing!”

“Hey Mike! I was reading fanfics last night! You’d never guess what most of them are about!!”

“Gay sex.”

“HOW DID YOU KNOW?!?!”

I still think we’re ahead of our times, as we’re mostly concerned with world building and creating a shared environment over crushes on popular characters.[/quote]

Well now I need to write a Black Mage/Red Mage slash fic.