Finalizing Kupopolis Sites for 2018

Been working hard on getting things off our webhost, and I wanted to get some feedback before I make too many decisions on my own.

Here is a roadmap of the Migration and setup, with emoji statuses:

create a linux virtual machine on digital ocean :mrgreen:

install wiki :mrgreen:

migrate wiki content over :mrgreen:

install nginx for routing :mrgreen:

set up dns for emails resets :mrgreen:

install discourse forum :mrgreen:

set up routing between wiki and discourse forum :?

allow forum logins to edit wiki :?

migrate moogle club forums to discourse :expressionless:

What I need feedback on:

So this is my purposal of the set structure moving forward, based on what is easy to do:

Kupopolis.club replaces moogle.club has main host site

If you go to kupopolis.club right now you’ll see a sandbox build of discourse as I learn how to deal with the dns configurations.

wiki.kupopolis.club replaces wiki.kupopolis.info

depending how you guys feel and depending on what is allowed for single sign on for everything, this may be permanent

moogle.club becomes a ooc category

One option that discourse allows for is setting up categories as iframes! I’d like the moogle.club domain to direct to this category if possible

kupopolis.info becomes a hub page

kind of like the original landing page of kupopolis.com, I can make it editable via the discourse form. I’d like to have it point to the wiki, the recent project, and whatever tools we may end up creating (I want to make an iron writer module)

gaiden.kupopolis.club, avalon.kupopolis.club, other side projects get subforum domain treatments

Similar to moogleclub, we can have landing hubs for any project that go to their category

Dimensions become a tag group, tags get wikis

Discourse only permits two level deep categorization, so I’d like to do locations as tags.You would tag the dimension, city, characters, etc. anything that would be something we’d have a wiki page for. Ultimately I want to see if its possible to generate a wiki stub for every tag we have.

This would allow is to filter by locations, story arcs, characters, as discourse has groupings for tags.

I think like it, Mike, but I’m having a little trouble visualizing it. Is setting it up so we can see it and play with it a lot of trouble? I don’t want to ask you to do the work if so; if it’s easy, however, I wouldn’t mind the chance with playing with it.

I like the idea of the domains though.

Is setting it up so we can see it and play with it a lot of trouble?

Its only trouble if I do it and you guys hate it :lol:

Since I’m using the seperate kupopolis.club domain, its all good. I can set up a moogle.club/demo page to see how that’d look.

Sweet! Thanks, dude.

Update:

set up routing between wiki and discourse forum :mrgreen:

allow forum logins to edit wiki :mrgreen:

wiki.kupopolis.club has a “login with discourse” button that’ll log you in if you’re logged in at kupopolis.club. Also email passwords are able to be sent out again on that domain.

We are a small collective of friends who have migrated from Nintendo AOL fanfic message boards back in the year 1999.

!!!

Should be

"Who migrated from Nintendo AOL fanfic message boards."

Simple past, not present perfect!

…and if tags work, that’s really good, especially if it cross-references with wiki categories.

So good news / bad news!

Good news! I was able to move old posts and logins to the new forum.

Bad news! Only older posts were able to be converted from an older backup, so anything posted in 2017 onwards is missing.

We can discuss next steps Saturday! I also went ahead and made Avalon looks a little prettier on the new site and tagged my posts as examples, take a look:

http://kupopolis.club

So…are you also planning on moving the various legacy Silver boards? (www.kupopolis.com)?

Even if it is a very…early 2000s design, it’s nice to know it still exists and will not fade away.

[quote=Celiose post_id=1404 time=1516377889 user_id=56]
So…are you also planning on moving the various legacy Silver boards? (www.kupopolis.com)?

Even if it is a very…early 2000s design, it’s nice to know it still exists and will not fade away.
[/quote]

That’s a good question!!

The current plan was to harvest all the posts and make a static page and offer that as a zip.

I could harvest the data and put it in a protected category that only veterans can see. Would you guys want me to do that?

I dunno if the dozen or so inactive people would want their data lifted and moved to a new location. But then both solutions are to make it “accessible, but with some sort of wall to deny anonymous access”.

So from our powwow, I think the consensus is to migrate them when i get the chance. I’ll try and do this sooner then later, before I forget how to migrate content.