What've You Been Playing?

Scen, I’d suggest Pillars of Eternity then. I’m only a couple hours in, but it is very much in the spirit of BG and others. I’ve heard pretty much glowing reviews about it across the board, particularly from fans of those series.[/quote]

I also started Pillars of Eternity and thought of Matt.

It’s definitely an old school game in spirit, though it has a handful of modern trappings (like, a good UI.)

Although there are plenty of story-driven companions, you can also create your whole party from scratch as hired adventurers – sort of like FFT, except so far as I know none of the story driven companions are so powerful that they break the game.

[quote=“Celiose”]I also started Pillars of Eternity and thought of Matt.

It’s definitely an old school game in spirit, though it has a handful of modern trappings (like, a good UI.)

Although there are plenty of story-driven companions, you can also create your whole party from scratch as hired adventurers – sort of like FFT, except so far as I know none of the story driven companions are so powerful that they break the game.[/quote]

Is it real time or turn-based? I wasn’t sure.

Pillars has real-time combat, but it is pause-able, so you can sorta play it out like turn-based combat.

I have tried a couple of times to get in to Crusader Kings II, but every single time I wind up feeling overwhelmed. I’m still determined to get over the hump some day.

Part of the trick with CK2 is that sucking at it doesn’t mean you fail at it. You have to have a really catastrophic failure to extinguish your whole line and lose all of your lands (or play in an area being invaded by another religion, but). I’ve been King of Ireland and Scotland, knocked down to Duke of Dublin (or whatever the duchy’s called), and risen back to the crown in a few generations.

The UI is awful though.

Does anyone play Guild Wars 2? I just picked it up on sale for 10 bucks, figured that was worth a spin.

Sadly no. I only got time for the one MMO.

GW2 has the blood of City of Heroes on its hands. I shall not play it.

I didn’t hear this. Did they kill CoH for GW2?

I didn’t hear this. Did they kill CoH for GW2?[/quote]

I’m sure the official company line would be “no,” but that’s how you know the answer is actually yes, right?

I didn’t hear this. Did they kill CoH for GW2?[/quote]

Not exactly, but they’re published by the same company (NCSoft).

I just couldn’t get into it – it had some neat ideas about how classes interact for certain attacks. The Elementalist, for example, could create a wall of fire, and the hunter shooting arrows through it would create flaming arrows.

I had friends that liked it, but personally, I just couldn’t get into it. An MMO has to hook you enough early on to make you aware that you’re making a huge commitment for the payoff…it’s like adopting a pet, or at least a digimon.

Thaaaaat’d do it. Definitely didn’t help.

[quote=“Celiose”]I just couldn’t get into it – it had some neat ideas about how classes interact for certain attacks. The Elementalist, for example, could create a wall of fire, and the hunter shooting arrows through it would create flaming arrows.

I had friends that liked it, but personally, I just couldn’t get into it. An MMO has to hook you enough early on to make you aware that you’re making a huge commitment for the payoff…it’s like adopting a pet, or at least a digimon.[/quote]

Yeah… yeah. I can’t tell you how many MMO’s I’ve played for a month. Right now, I don’t have time for a second; FF14 eats a lot of my gaming time, and I worry what’d happen if I got two. I just vanish from reality.

Speaking of which…

who plays Civ V?

Gabe did these awesome Civ II Kupop mods for the Leviathan War back in the day, we should totally do a Civ V mod. (Starting with something simple, like putting the Kupop civs in).

I play Civ V! Unfortunately, Civ V modding is way harder and past my technical skill. I looked a bit at Freeciv, though, since it’s more like Civ II…

Civ IV is my favorite and the only one I’ve done any real modding for. But Civ V modding doesn’t look all that difficult.

You and your skills, Dustin!!

In all seriousness, Civ V’s got some great stuff. I’ve not played Civ IV in years, but I remember it being pretty fun.

I was gifted (but never played) Civ IV on Steam. … In fact I’ve never really played many of the Civ games. But if you guys like Civ V well enough… should we add that to the potential list of multiplayer games we can get in on together?

Yes but let’s find out who has Beyond Earth first; I say this because Civ V is old with a buttload of DLC, BE is brand new with zero DLC so fewer compatibility issues (and also it’s real cool).

Also Travis, have you ever done multiplayer CK2? It scares me.

Dude, so remember a LONG time ago Tex when we were playing Alpha Centari at like 4 in the morning? We started making Yoda impressions.

Hahahaha, oh man, I’d forgotten all about that! That was also a great game.